Chattanooga Child Support Attorney
Assisting Clients in Child Support Matters in Hamilton County
At Speek, Turner & Newkirk PLLC, we understand the challenges of dealing with child support matters in Tennessee. Our experienced and dedicated team of family law attorneys is here to guide and advocate for you throughout the child support process. We prioritize the child's best interests while protecting your rights and ensuring a fair resolution. As trusted Chattanooga child support lawyers, we are committed to providing compassionate and effective legal representation tailored to your unique needs.
How is Child Support Determined in Tennessee?
Child support in Tennessee is governed by state laws, which aim to ensure that children receive adequate financial support from both parents. The calculation of child support follows specific guidelines set by the state. The key factors considered in determining child support include:
- Income of both parents: The court will examine the gross income of both parents, including salaries, wages, bonuses, commissions, and other sources of income.
- Parenting time: The amount of time each parent spends with the child is crucial in the child support calculation. The parent who has more parenting time may receive more support, reflecting the costs associated with raising the child.
- Childcare and medical expenses: The court will consider healthcare and childcare costs when calculating child support.
- Education expenses: Educational expenses, such as tuition fees and school-related costs, will also be factored into the child support calculation.
- Other relevant factors: In some cases, the court may consider other relevant factors, such as the child's special needs or extracurricular activities that require additional financial support.
Our Chattanooga child support attorneys are well-versed in Tennessee child support laws and can help you understand the specific factors that may influence the calculation in your case. We will work diligently to ensure a fair child support assessment, considering all relevant factors and protecting your parental rights.
Can Child Support be Modified in Tennessee?
Yes, child support orders in Tennessee can be modified under certain circumstances. Life is dynamic, and financial situations can change over time. If there is a significant change in circumstances, either parent can request a modification of the child support order. Common reasons for seeking modification include:
- Change in income: If either parent experiences a substantial change in income, such as a job loss, promotion, or change in employment, it may warrant a modification of child support.
- Change in parenting time: If the parenting schedule significantly changes, it can impact the child support calculation.
- Medical or educational needs: If the child's medical or educational needs change, it may require child support modification to accommodate these new expenses.
- Emancipation of a child: When a child reaches the age of majority or becomes financially independent, child support may be modified accordingly.
We can assist you in petitioning for a modification or defending against an unwarranted modification request. We will help you navigate the legal process and protect your rights and your child's best interests.
What Age Do You Stop Paying Child Support in Tennessee?
In Tennessee, child support typically continues until the child reaches the age of 18 or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later. However, there are exceptions to this general rule. Child support may extend beyond this age if the child has special needs or requires ongoing support due to a physical or mental disability.
It's essential to be aware of the specific terms outlined in your child support order to determine the precise date when your child support obligation ends. Our Chattanooga child support lawyers can review your case and provide guidance on the duration of child support payments based on your unique circumstances.
Contact Our Chattanooga Child Support Lawyer Today
If you are facing child support issues in Chattanooga, our experienced attorneys at Speek, Turner & Newkirk PLLC are here to help. We deeply understand Tennessee child support laws and can offer personalized legal solutions to suit your needs. Our goal is to protect your child's best interests while safeguarding your parental rights.
Contact Speek, Turner & Newkirk PLLC today to schedule a consultation with a dedicated Chattanooga child support attorney.